Monday, April 5, 2010

Cut it out, Burlington Teen Tour Band!

Hello again, everyone! I'm very pleased to be back on the blog after a longer-than-expected break (blame it on the weather, as they say!).

I would love to share more of my letters with you. This particular letter series is very dear to me. As some of you may know, there's nothing else I admire more in the world than a marching band. Marching band requires more discipline, raw strength, coordination and peripheral vision than anything else I can think of. I have such respect for these bands that march in public and I dearly wish that I could be part of one.

In December of 2009, I had the pleasure of viewing the Santa Claus Parade in Toronto, Ontario. I enjoyed this parade very much so, not only because parade members threw candy at the audience but also because there were many high school marching bands. It was there that I first saw the Burlington Teen Tour Band (or the BTTB, as I now like to call them!). I was so enraptured by them that I wrote the following letter.


To me, the idea of being an honorary member of the BTTB was so exciting that I barely thought of much else for weeks! I'm sure my cats became annoyed with me, haha! But they understand. However, weeks turned into months with no reply. I know that the BTTB most likely receives a lot of fan mail, and I don't mind waiting long periods for replies, but it soon became clear to me that they either:

a.)did not want me as either a fan OR honorary member, or

b.) were suspicious of my ways and thought I was an undercover scout for a rival band.

I became bitter. On the one-year anniversary of my first letter to the BTTB, I wrote to them again.



My letter may seem a little harsh, but you have to understand the disappointment and humiliation I felt! I just wanted to belong to an outstanding group like the BTTB, to be with fellow people who enjoy wearing wool uniforms with buttons and walking in-sync. It is hard to find people like that, even on the Internet.

On a cold January evening I returned home from the loading docks and found a large package sticking out of my mailbox. Imagine my delight when I found this wonderful letter inside:


Not only did the BTTB send me a personalized letter, they also listened to my (2) requests and sent an autographed picture of the gang! It's signed by every single member of the band (in spirit) and says my name on it.


"To Carla, A Great Band Fan. From: The Members of B.T.T.B."

It's my favorite picture that I have ever received, to say the least. It's now hanging up in my room. I want to request a silly picture of the gang next!

Rob's letter both thrilled and saddened me. He said that I can't be a member of the BTTB because of my age. He says I am too old of a woman. I don't agree with this and I am going to fight it. I would like to start my own marching band for older people or anyone else who wants to be in it. I am going to tell Rob of my plans and see if he has any advice for me or can spare some of his members. Some of those "kids" look like they may be faking their age to me and I would like to suggest drug testing for anti-aging drugs. I'm a firm believer that drugs have no place in marching bands!

I will be sure to keep all of you updated on any news with the BTTB. They are a lovely group and I am so proud to be affiliated with them.

Stay tuned for more letters coming soon, including a list of the worst organizations to write to!

Your Friend,

Carla K. Thasman

PS--If you are interested in being a member of my old person marching band, please let me know.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops--I SAID Sign me up--I do not play an instrument but i have the voice of an angel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to join!!!

    I can't sing or play an instrument, except for a piano very badly. I've dabbled in guitar and have plans to take up violin (as soon as I get my old roommates violin from him....)

    Until I master an instrument though, perhaps I could help with organization in some way? I'm a very organized person when I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'M IN! Can we resume our co-captain positions?!

    This was your best letter yet! And definitely the best response! But why are you Carla K. Thasman?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've totally got the flute section covered.

    Carla is a good friend of mine who likes to write letters, Jenn. She has taught me a lot!

    Velvet, I will confirm that you do have an angel's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, my name is Stéfan Sauer. I am a member of the Burlington Teen Tour for 3 years now and i'm in the clarinet section. I found your blog here, I read it and I would like to say thank you for all your support to the band. And I would also like to say that, no we are not worried about scouts from other bands. Thank you for your sopport.

    Unfortunatly we will not be there for the 2010 Toronto Chrismas parade. Because the orginaisers for the Cobourg chrismas parade booked us 7 months in advance. But we will be at the Missisuaga parade on the 28th of november.
    Hope to see you there.
    Stéfan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Stefan! It's such a thrill to talk to a real member of the BTTB! You are very lucky to be part of such a wonderful organization. I still wish I was allowed to join and continue to hope that a change will come.

    I went to the 2010 Santa Claus Parade just in case your gang made it out, but I was disappointed. Will you be there for the 2011 Santa Claus Parade? I would like to request "Ding Dong Merrily on High!" if you are.

    Please keep me updated on any BTTB news/appearances, Stefan! And enjoy your youth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete